Comcast Launches “Team UP” Volunteer Program Nationwide with Team USA Olympic and Paralympic Athletes
PHILADELPHIA CREAM–(BUSINESS WIRE)–This week, hundreds of Comcast employees in the greater Philadelphia area will come together to participate in volunteer activities at six community locations across the city. The teams will be joined by eight Team USA Olympians and Paralympians who were supported by Comcast at the Tokyo 2020 Olympic and Paralympic Games and the Beijing 2022 Winter Olympic and Paralympic Games, including gold medalist Nathan Chen. US Olympic figure skating; Simone Manuel, US Olympic gold medalist, swimming; Erin Jackson, US Olympic gold medalist, speed skating; and Brad Snyder, U.S. Paralympic Gold Medalist, Paratriathlon and Swimming.
These events celebrate Comcast’s official return to in-person volunteering after the pandemic, as well as the announcement of the company’s new volunteer program – Team UP. Building on Comcast’s long history of community service, Team UP is an ongoing, 365-day-a-year effort that offers Comcast employees the opportunity to strengthen their involvement in local communities. The name Team UP emphasizes that the company’s work has the greatest impact when employees work as a team. It also aligns with Project UP, Comcast’s initiative to build a future of unlimited possibilities.
In addition to this week’s activations in the Philadelphia area, volunteer opportunities will continue to roll out across the country throughout the year.
“We’ve always had an incredibly strong volunteer spirit at Comcast,” said Dalila Wilson-Scott, executive vice president and chief diversity officer, Comcast Corporation and chair, Comcast NBCUniversal Foundation. “We are thrilled to reinvigorate this commitment and strengthen our legacy of service with the launch of Team UP.”
The six volunteer projects in the Philadelphia area are:
June 15, 2022
- STEAM Activity Day with Lifting Up Camden’s Youth (LUCY)*: Comcast volunteers will participate in interactive after-school STEAM programming with LUCY youth (ages 8-15) with Erin Jackson, US Olympic Gold Medalist, Speed Skating, and Dave Watson, President and CEO, Comcast Cable. The event includes a tour of the newly built ‘LUCY Center’, a Q&A session with Erin Jackson and a hands-on STEAM activity.
June 16, 2022
- Career Panel and Goal Setting Workshop with Girls Inc*: Volunteers will join Simone ManuelUS Olympic gold medalist, swimming; Erin Jackson, US Olympic gold medalist in speed skating; and Dalila Wilson-Scott of Comcast for a life and career panel and Q&A with girls (ages 12-18) interested in athletics. The volunteers will then participate in a goal setting activity where the girls can share their hopes and dreams for the future.
- Creation of solar cars with the Boys & Girls Clubs of Philadelphia (Northeast Frankford Clubhouse and Shane Victorino Nicetown Clubhouse)*: Volunteers and Club members (5-10 years old) will join Simone ManuelUS Olympic gold medalist, swimming, and Dalila Wilson-Scott at the Northeast Frankford Clubhouse and mike schultzUS Paralympic Gold Medalist, Snowboarding, at the Shane Victorino Nicetown Clubhouse, where they will assemble solar-powered cars from kit to promote STEM learning, fine motor development and group collaboration.
- Sort warehouse clothes with Cradles to Crayons: Next to Nathan Chen, US Olympic gold medalist, figure skating; Brad Snyder, U.S. Paralympic Gold Medalist, Paratriathlon and Swimming; and Brenna Huckaby, a US Paralympic gold medalist in snowboarding, volunteers will prepare donations for children in need, including quality checks on clothing and preparing backpacks for distribution. Volunteers will also write encouragement cards for donation recipients.
- Support food security with Philbondage: Volunteers, alongside Chuck AokiU.S. Paralympic silver medalist, wheelchair rugby, and Brody Royal, U.S. Paralympic Gold Medalist Sled Hockey will perform a variety of warehouse activities based on community needs, including packing meals for isolated seniors.
*Four of the six volunteer locations are Comcast Lifting areasWi-Fi-connected spaces in community centers across the country that allow students and families to connect for free.
Comcast’s commitment to community service has been deeply embedded in the company’s DNA for nearly 60 years. Since 2001, more than one million Comcast employees, family members and friends in 23 countries have performed more than seven million hours of service at 12,000 project sites. With the new Team UP, Comcast teams have the opportunity to get involved throughout the year, whether through in-person or virtual volunteering, as nonprofit board members. profit, by making a charitable donation or by supporting the company’s vast network of partners.
About Comcast Corporation
Comcast Corporation (Nasdaq: CMCSA) is a global media and technology company that connects people in the moments that matter. We are primarily focused on connectivity, aggregation and streaming with 57 million customer relationships in the US and Europe. We provide broadband, wireless and video through our Xfinity, Comcast Business and Sky brands; create, distribute and broadcast premier entertainment, sports and news through Universal Filmed Entertainment Group, Universal Studio Group, Sky Studios, NBC and Telemundo broadcast networks, multiple cable networks, Peacock, NBCUniversal News Group, NBC Sports, Sky News and Sky Sports; and deliver memorable experiences at Universal Parks and Resorts in the United States and Asia. Visit www.comcastcorporation.com for more information.